Main St. Between Franklin and Jefferson – North Side
A very early picture of the North Side of Main Street. This picture reveals a lot about the history downtown Knightstown. The parade is probably to celebrate the end of the Civil War or the opening of the Indiana Soldiers and Sailors Home in 1865. The overhead lines are most certainly telegraph lines which were first installed in the mid 1850s. Knightstown was one of the first Indiana towns to have the telegraph. Also note the Reeves’ Drugstore building on the north-east corner; it has an outside stairs.
A lot more about this block will be added later. It has a very interesting history.